Saturday, October 29, 2011

A moment

On the weeks when my son is with his father I don't spend as much time in the car, but there are moments when I drive home after work when the sun has set in the west, the light is filtered in the sky with such beauty that I am left a bit breathless. Unfortunately some of those moments are often on an onramp to the highway or driving over a hill where there are no turns and I appreciate the beauty in my solitary (albeit distracted) state. Yesterday, I was headed home to champagne (took a different route to pick up a bottle!) and saw to my delight the sun's final curtain call. Light was reflected on a strand of pearled clouds, coloring them with dark rainbowed hues. I wish then reached for my camera, made a quick turn and headed back up the hill to position myself to hold the occasion...  
 When I arrived, I was disappointed to find the light had shifted into a less vibrant blush yet the purpled hues framed by the distant edges of the mountain's magnificence drew me.

     I stood quietly taking my picture, passed by by hurrying homegoers, bumper to bumper in their rush, anxious they might lose a few feet of asphalt.
I stared back at the heavens, glad not to have let the twinkling joy of a sunset pass me by then headed homeward with the true prize, a space of stillness caught between traffic lights- a moment.

4 comments:

  1. Those moments when we just stop are so precious and they tend to stay with us a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what we all need to stop a do. Take time to enjoy what God has provided for us. Most are too busy to notice, but you, Danette, are a true artist with an honest heart and a deep soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate missing those perfect photo ops - those amazingly beautiful moments you can never recapture! Of course, the times I do get my camera out & snap a shot, it often doesn't work out as great as I've hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful. There's a lot of power in the rising and setting of the sun. The early morning is my favorite time of day. It's always surging with life. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Please know that any feedback, positive or negative, is appreciated.

(Rudeness, nastiness or spam of any kind is subject to deletion by the owner of the blog.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...